HERE IS A LIST OF DISINFECTANTS AND HOW LONG THEY TAKE TO KILL COVID AND MANY OTHER VIRUSES!
WHEN TO USE MASKS
HOW THE FLU SPREADS…
Flu spreads through the community in three ways:
- Direct contact – when you shake hands with or otherwise touch an infected individual.
- Indirect contact – when the virus spreads via a contaminated surface like a door handle.
- Aerosols – when the virus is expelled into the air by coughing, sneezing or just exhaling and is then inhaled by a susceptible individual.
HOW TO REDUCE THE CHANCES OF SPREADING A VIRUS
There are some simple measures that can help reduce the chances of the virus spreading to other people. The following steps can help remove infectious flu virus from surfaces and the air.
Removing flu virus from surfaces in your home or business:
- Wipe down frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs, tables, elevator buttons, and faucets. Simple alcohol-based cleaning products are effective to inactivate flu.
- The classic advice of hand-washing can also help reduce transmission by direct and indirect contact.
- Coughing and sneezing into your shirt rather than your elbow or hand is a good way to keep droplets and aerosols from traveling through the air and depositing on surfaces.
Removing flu virus from the air:
- Increasing air circulation in the room can dilute flu viruses in the air and limit their spread. This can be achieved by increasing the exchange rate of building ventilation systems, turning on ceiling or portable fans, and, if possible, opening windows.
- Air purifiers designed to remove particles should be effective at removing viruses from air too, although this has not been tested directly. A purifier with a HEPA filter and a high flow rate will remove the most particles.
- Surgical masks are particularly useful if worn by sick individuals. This intervention will help keep an infected person from spreading viruses around, as they come out even when you’re just exhaling. If you’re not sick but are around people who have the flu, wearing a surgical mask can help protect you from getting infected as long as it’s tight-fitting. If there are gaps around the sides, then it’s not helping much.